TWENTY?! Does it not blow your mind? Some of my friends think that 20 is a boring age. Sure it isn’t 18 or 21, but come on! Twenty years is a long time. Like what have I been doing for the last twenty years? So many years. I swear, I will not get over it. In February it’ll still be blowing my mind. Maybe..
Anyway, a year ago I made a list of 19 goals I wanted to achieve in my nineteenth year of life. I’ll admit, I didn’t get to every single thing on that list, but that’s okay. It is still nice to have things to work towards. So in honor of entering my twenties, I’ve come up with 20 things I’d like to achieve in the next 12 months. A little bucket-list:
- Spend more time alone: I have definitely gotten more comfortable doing things by myself, but I would like to take it a step further. I think being comfortable being alone is a very important skill.
- Watch a sunrise: Fun fact: I actually did that this morning! There’s a post about it coming soon!
- Spend an entire day in bed: …hey I didn’t say they all had to be productive.
- Countdown to 21: Am I truly a 20 year old if I don’t??
- Do a teatox: I’ve only done this one other time, and I loved it. So I decided its time to do another.
- Make a “memories” board: I keep a box of all my little memories (i.e. ticket stubs, wristbands, etc.), and I have decided I want to try a new way of keeping these little items. I will post about this one too!
- Try 20 new things: I was going to say one new thing, but twenty is way cooler.
- Join a new club: Changing majors meant leaving a wonderful organization, so its time to find some new ones to join.
- Post everyday for a month: Doing more writing is always a good goal. Maybe a 30 day challenge? Maybe January? We’ll see.
- Take more adventures: I always say that I want to do more, yet I always get wrapped up and school, and work, and schoolwork, and eating, and sleeping, and repeating. Its time to be more adventurous.
- Change my hair: I’ll be honest, if there were to be one thing on this list that doesn’t get accomplished this will be the one, but a little change never hurt anyone, so it’s something to consider.
- Pay for someone’s meal: Two friends and I have wanted to do this since senior year, and I’m not sure why it hasn’t happened yet but it hasn’t. This is the year.
- Conquer a fear: This one is vague, I know. I haven’t decided which fear yet, but we’ll get there!
- READ: Oh my goodness I miss reading. Every few weeks I’ll sit down and read a few chapters, but I would love to finish a book (or 20) in the next year.
- Take a weekend road trip with friends: This one can go along with being more adventurous. I don’t even care where we go.
- Volunteer: Another thing I always tell myself I’m going to do and then never do.
- Take a break from social media: And start with twitter. Hey, more time for reading!
- Run a 5k: Haha look familiar? It’s gonna happen people, I promise.
- Start 20 conversations with 20 new people: I always say “be more outgoing,” but this is how I will do it.
- Don’t take life to seriously: I have been known in the past to get very worked up about little things. So my first thing is to not be disappointed if this list doesn’t get entirely accomplished. To view it as a list of suggestions rather than “must complete NOW.” Let the little things go.
Your twenties are your selfish years. Old enough to make the right decisions and young enough to make the wrong ones. Be selfish with your time – travel, explore, fall in and out of love, be ridiculous and silly, stupid and wild, and never touch the ground. -Kyoko Escamilla
So here’s to a new adventure, and for all my twenty year olds or about-to-be’s, may these years treat us well.